NEW YORK — A majority of Americans believes an indictment stemming from one of the pending criminal probes of Donald Trump should bar him from making another White House bid, according to a new Quinnipiac poll.
When asked whether criminal charges should disqualify Trump from running again, 57 percent of registered voters surveyed within the last week said yes. Thirty-eight percent said no, and five percent were unsure.
The breakdown was roughly the same for independents. Nearly 90 percent of Democrats said criminal charges should keep Trump from campaigning, compared to only 23 percent of Republicans.
And while 55 percent of respondents think Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg is probing Trump for “serious” claims related to a 2016 hush money payment to a porn star, 60 percent believe the case is politically motivated. Only about a third of those surveyed believe the probe is being motivated by the law.
Trump has repeatedly blasted Bragg, a Democrat, for waging a so-called political witch-hunt aimed at stymying his chances for re-election.
POLITICO first reported Wednesday that the grand jury hearing evidence in Bragg’s investigation is expected to take a month-long break from the case.
Manhattan prosecutors are investigating Trump’s alleged role in a hush-money payment made to adult entertainer Stormy Daniels. The payment came during the height of his 2016 presidential campaign in order to prevent Daniels from publicizing an alleged affair with Trump. He has denied the affair and any wrongdoing in connection with the payment.
The probe is just one of several ongoing state and federal investigations into Trump.
( Information from politico.com was used in this report. Also if you have any problem of this article or if you need to remove this articles, please email here and we will delete this immediately. [email protected] )